Property & Evidence Custodian
Part-time, non-exempt position available
This position provides customer service to members of the public, as well as internal staff, in a face-to-face manner at the public safety lobby and other areas of the police department building. Primary responsibilities include answering emails, telephone calls, and general questions from members of the public who seek services from the police department and assisting them in obtaining services they are requesting by connecting them with police department employees, or other city staff as necessary. In addition, this position will receive, verify accuracy, record, track, and maintain chain of custody on all police department recovered property and property seized as evidence. The position will identify, release, and arrange for the delivery of evidence for processing as ordered by the Criminal Investigations Unit, courts or other authorities authorized in the Criminal Justice System. All recovered and seized property will be released as authorized by policy.
- Effectively and accurately communicate information orally in a clear and intelligible voice to elicit and explain information to law enforcement, medical and fire personnel, local government officials and the general public.
- Maintain confidentiality of all internal and external communications as appropriate.
- Must be able to speak, read, and understand English.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Must demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness, and attention to detail.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Ability to complete a firearms safety course.
- Ability to complete a personal protective clothing course.
- Ability to complete a CSI training course.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods
- Must be able to regularly lift 25 pounds and occasionally lift 100 pounds.
- Must be able to tolerate and safely handle exposure to fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Must be able to frequently work in spaces that contain evidence with strong odors and/or that require personal protective clothing.
- Must be able to safely handle a wide range of drugs.
- Must be able to safely handle bladed weapons, firearms, and ammunition.
Part-time hours will be approximately 20 hours per week.
$16.07-$24.10 per hour
- The commission of a crime classified as a felony under Missouri Statute regardless of conviction status
- Non-felony crimes and incidents involving moral turpitude may be a disqualifying factor but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Excessive traffic tickets
- Conviction of a Domestic Violence related crime or the respondent of an active full order of protection.
- Sale, distribution, supplying of narcotics (to include prescription drugs)
- Deceit or otherwise lying in an official police investigation or administrative inquiry
- Use or possession of any controlled substance within the last five years (Where the use or possession of that controlled substance in itself would be classified a felony under Missouri Statute)
- Any illegal use of a controlled substance in the past two years (to include prescription drugs)
- Any misleading or false information on the employment application
Click on the Apply Online link on the Career Opportunities page. Applications must be completed in full and may also be accompanied by an uploaded cover letter and resume. Click here for full job description.