How Do I?

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report directly to the KCCrimeStoppers
Scanning this QR Code will take you directly to the KC CrimeStoppers webpage where you can submit a felony level info for cash, giving you and easier, faster, convenient, and ANONYMOUS  way to say it here KC!

smaller size QR CODE CrimeStoppers
Private Security Officer Licensing

Private Security Officers

In accordance with City Code, private security officers may not operate within City limits unless they are registered with the Police Department.  For more information on getting registered, please contact the Department at (816) 741-1191 during regular business hours.

Supporting Documents

Who do I need to call about getting my personal property returned?

Please call 816.741.1191 and ask for the property and evidence clerk to schedule an appointment. 
How do I file a complaint against a police officer?

By Missouri State Statute, persons are granted the right to fair and efficient police protection. The Riverside Police Department is committed to providing this service to the entire community. The office of the Chief is responsible for investigating allegations of police abuse or misconduct and to protect members of the department from unjust and unfair accusations. The Riverside Police Department and the Riverside Board of Aldermen want to develop positive relationships with the community and invite the community to share the responsibility for finding workable solutions that impact the safety and security of the community.

If you believe a member of the department has acted improperly, download and print a copy of the Citizen's Complaint Form and return it to the office of the Chief, Riverside, Missouri Police Department, 2990 NW Vivion Road, Riverside, Missouri 64150.

Complaints must be filed within sixty (60) days of the date of occurrence.

The complainant must be 17 years of age or older. Complainants under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a parent of guardian who will sign the complaint form and be considered a co-complainant.

Complaint forms must be notarized.

If the complaint is investigated by a detective, the complainant will be contacted to give a formal (verbal) statement regarding the allegations of the complaint. This statement is mandatory in order to have the complaint investigated. Should a complainant fail to provide a formal statement or should the detective be unable to contact the complainant in order to schedule the formal statement, the complaint will be closed without further investigation.

Citizen Complaint Form

What happens after the investigation?

Once the investigation has been completed and the results reviewed, the complainant will be notified by the department as to the results. There are four potential dispositions:

  • The complaint may be classified as Unfounded. This would indicate that the complaint was not based on fact, as shown by the investigation, or the incident reported did not occur.
  • The complaint may be classified as Not Sustained. This would indicate that the investigation disclosed insufficient evidence to support the allegations in the complaint.
  • The complaint may be classified as Sustained. Complaints that are sustained show that there is sufficient evidence to support the allegations.
  • The complaint may be classified as Exonerated. For a complaint to be classified as exonerated, the investigation must show that while the action reported did occur, the actions were reasonable, proper, and lawful.

When a complaint is classified as Sustained, the complainant will be notified if disciplinary action was taken against the department member. Missouri law prohibits the department for releasing the specific nature of the discipline.

Police Reports

Accident Reports

In an effort to provide citizens and insurance companies with the ability to obtain accurate and affordable crash reports as quickly as possible, our crash reports are now available for purchase online.  All online requests for crash reports can be made at www.BuyCrash.Com

BuyCrash.Com charges a nominal convenience fee for this service which is added to the cost of the report.  Involved parties that do not wish to pay the convenience fee can still come to the police station and pay only the cost of the report.  Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m

Non-Accident Reports

To request a copy of a police report, please submit a Request for Report form along with a $5.00 check made out to the City of Riverside to

Riverside Police Department
Attn: Records
2990 NW Vivion Road
Riverside, MO 64150

Information about City of Riverside crime reports is made available to the public on In addition to providing data about the crimes, this web site also maps the location. (This website and information is currently unavailable.)

To search Riverside crime reports,
1. Click the State of Missouri on the map, then click "Riverside Police Department" on the menu, or
2. Type in your exact address in the "Enter Location" box.

The following link provides the user with the ability to view the most current incident report information within Riverside, Missouri. The displayed information is the most current information from the data source. The data source is dynamic and therefore constantly changing. Changes to the information may occur, as incident information is refined.

While the Riverside Police Department (the Department) makes every effort to maintain and distribute accurate information, no warranties and/or representations of any kind are made regarding information, data or services provided. The Department is not responsible for misinterpretation of this information and makes no inference or judgment as to the relative safety to any particular area or neighborhood. In no event shall the Department be liable in any way to the users of this data. Users of this data shall hold the Department harmless in all matters and accounts arising from the use and/or accuracy of this data.

Supporting Documents and Links